History of Healing Bark
It all began in 1890 when Aye Tru Ma, a farmer from Sagaing, stumbled upon a grove of Thanaka trees growing behind a dense jungle patch. To protect his skin from the blistering sun, he cut down a small tree, ground the bark, and applied the paste to his face. Almost immediately, he noticed there was something special about this thanaka. It smelled of crisp sandalwood, cooled his face immediately, and left him feeling more refreshed than ever before. The next day, Aye Tru Ma left his home to set up a small shop in Mandalay where he would sell the Thanaka he found.
Word spread quickly about his Thanaka’s special healing powers for all kinds of skin problems. Within a year, it became known as “kyannmarrayy aahkout”, which translates to ‘healing bark’ in english.
When Aye Tru Ma passed away in 1914, he left his business to his son, U Kyaw Win. Together with his wife, Min Ta Oo, they opened multiple shops around Myanmar selling the healing bark. To this day, the healing bark continues to be used and loved by people throughout Myanmar.